SCSI to scanner & USB to scanner ?????
DoubleEntendre
2006-02-03 22:48:46 UTC
Hello all,

I have a few Ricoh IS420 Scanners, they all work from a SCSI card & SCSI
cable in my computers (98/ME/XP). I believe the cable end is called a "HD50"
pin connector.

Question is:

My laptop will not allow a SCSI "card to be put in it, they sell (and I have
seen on EBay) a USB to SCSI 50HD connector. Has anyone ever tried this way?
I bought a USB to Centronics Printer cable & it worked fine with a HP
LaserJet 4050 & a LaserJet 4, it would be soooo nice if the USB to SCSI
worked!

Thanks so much,

DE
JSD
2006-02-04 11:56:08 UTC
I'm not sure what you mean that your laptop won't allow a SCSI card to
be put in it ? Surely it does have a PCMCIA Slot ? And You DO get a
PCMCIA to SCSI Adapter - which plugs into the PCMCIA slot and comes
with a cable that plugs directly into the SCSI socket on the scanner.
I've been using one for years, with several different laptops and
scanners and it works just fine.

I've had no experience with a USB to SCSI adapter, but I'm a little
sceptical about wether it will work as well as a PCMCIA adapter as the
data throughput rates of SCSI interfaces are higher than those
supported by USB 1.0 and USB 2.0 standards even though all scanners may
not require the same data throughput rates as some other SCSI devices
such as hard disk drives etc.

JSD
DoubleEntendre
2006-02-04 15:15:39 UTC
JSD,

I totally forgot about the PCMCIA slot, I have never used it because almost
everything I needed was built into the laptop. Excellent suggestion and I am
also skeptical of a USB to SCSI cable. I'm sure I can find one on EBay, I
need it to end in a 50HD connector.

Thanks for the help.

DE
JSD
JSD
2006-02-05 16:45:45 UTC
DE,

Just for your info - The card I've been using is an Adaptec. It came
with two cables which connect the output of the card to the SCSI
device. One has a 50HD connecter and the other is I think a 64 pin
which looks like a centronics parallel connecter, similar to what is
used for parallel printers.

Any card you buy today should come with the 50HD connector as that has
more or less become the standard - at least certainly on scanners !

JSD